back to NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: '75 TA Missing and Backfiring  (Read 767 times)

may2018

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
'75 TA Missing and Backfiring
« on: May 04, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
So far you guys have been awesome when I have had issues on my Trans Am. Yet again another problem though. At idle and while trying to maintain the speed car is missing and backfiring. As long as you are giving it gas or flooring it, it runs great. It was driving perfectly normal then it died as I was coming to a stop and fired right back up but is doing this now. Only thing I had done that day was replace thermostat but put at least 50 miles on it before it did this. I have checked for vacuum leaks, changed plugs and wires, cleaned fuel filter. It still starts very easy even with how cold its been. Also right when you fire it up it sounds and runs normal for a few seconds before rough idle and miss kicks in and will only backfire out of passenger exhaust. My car is 1980 with a Pontiac 400 out of a 75 TA.
Austin Allen

firebirdclub

• National Firebird and Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: '75 TA Missing and Backfiring
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:16:53 PM »
I had a similar issue on my ‘74 back in the day. I found my carb gasket was shot and excess gas was pouring in at idle and it couldn’t handle it because there wasn’t enough air to atomize the mixture.
Thomas Casilllo
National Firebird and Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
phone/text: 773-769-7166

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

back to NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog