back to NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader
Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.firebirdtaclub.com!

Author Topic: Driveability  (Read 175 times)

may2017

• A Firebird & Trans Am Club Member
Driveability
« on: May 03, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
Anyone ever have a problem with driveability when the engine is cold? I have a 305 TPI in an Ď85 Trans Am.
When it is cold for the first 5 minutes, the engine will idle low and sometimes die. If I give it gas it will sputter and sometimes stall on acceleration. Even if I hold the rpmís up and then give it gas it will act like it will stumble then rev up. It will also  happen when driving.
It is hard to describe. Iíve been told to check or replace the fuel regulator and Iíve been told to check or replace the idle air control valve. With fuel injection  hard to diagnose without a computer. Damn electronics​. Iím old school. I am the second owner and I have owned it for 25 years.
Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Michael DiLorenzo

firebirdclub

• National Firebird & Trans Am Club
  • Firebird & Trans Am Club Administrator
Re: Driveability
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
It is most likely caused by the temperature sending unit up front. It also could be the ECT sending unithich sets your timing depending on the temperature.
Cory Bailey
National Firebird & Trans Am Club
email: info@firebirdtaclub.com
ph. 773-769-7166
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all Firebirds and Trans Ams including GTAs and Firehawks.  Established in 1984 and offers color magazines (EAGLE), emagazines, technical advice, free member classifieds, member repair shop recommendations and much more!

back to NFTAC website home page or NFTAC Photo Gallery or NFTAC Club Blog